The Narrow Gate

Welcome to the continuation of my blog, post-seminary. Ministry and evangelism have brought me back home to Chattanooga. I welcome your company on my journey.

The original blog, Down In Mississippi, shared stories from 2008 and 2009 of the hope and determination of people in the face of disaster wrought by the hurricanes Rita and Katrina in 2005, of work done primarily by volunteers from churches across America and with financial support of many aid agencies and private donations and the Church. My Mississippi posts really ended with the post of August 16, 2009. Much work, especially for the neediest, remained undone after the denominational church pulled out. Such is the nature of institutions. The world still needs your hands for a hand up. I commend to you my seven stories, Down in Mississippi I -VII, at the bottom of this page and the blog posts. They describe an experience of grace.



Saturday, April 12, 2014

Day 488 - Deliver Me

Deliver Me
All the noises of spoken words, the creaking house and worst
my talking memories distract me when I’m seeking silence.
I try a deep cleansing breath and close my eyes
trying to erase, little by little, each object of memory,
Seeking silence from what is left.
The closer I get to that state of peace, the louder the silence grows.
I become aware of a drum beat,
the regular thumping of my heart that holds me
between awake and deathly sleep.
I focus on it and slowly come to synchrony with the beat,
that falls with my breathing falls, yet that slowing always reveals
the old ringing, a faint, ever present insect
somewhere deep within my ears,
singing in a tinny, electronic high pitch.
I wrestle with it, hoping to grow inured to its sound
but it remains and the effort that only makes me aware
of the house as it begins to speak.
The gurgle of the refrigerant in the refrigerator.
Footsteps. Voices outside somewhere,
too low to understand but not too quiet to hear.
These sounds are all around, fighting and taunting me.
I consider abandoning this futile struggle
as each new sound yet another in the chorus.
Finally it is just me and the high-pitched singing,
some insect rubbing its wings together, signaling for a mate.
And then slowly everything yields to silence,
everything but the roar of unvoiced thoughts.
Can you think without talking, even to yourself?
The voices must be like the sound of Barth’s secret prayer
that echoes in the halls of Heaven, deafening the angels.
It is that fear of silence I hear,
Fear that I’ll bend down too low in abject humility,
with face prostrated so hard against the floor and hear His voice,
His agony of silence, forsaken and abandoned
save by the few women, and God.
That silence shook the foundations of the world:
The voice of silence saying, “Get up and feed my sheep.”

Henry Paris copyright 2011

No comments: