The Narrow Gate

Welcome to the continuation of my blog, post-seminary. Ministry and evangelism have brought me back home to Chattanooga. I welcome your company on my journey.

The original blog, Down In Mississippi, shared stories from 2008 and 2009 of the hope and determination of people in the face of disaster wrought by the hurricanes Rita and Katrina in 2005, of work done primarily by volunteers from churches across America and with financial support of many aid agencies and private donations and the Church. My Mississippi posts really ended with the post of August 16, 2009. Much work, especially for the neediest, remained undone after the denominational church pulled out. Such is the nature of institutions. The world still needs your hands for a hand up. I commend to you my seven stories, Down in Mississippi I -VII, at the bottom of this page and the blog posts. They describe an experience of grace.



Thursday, December 13, 2012

Day 4 - The story of 1 Corinthians 8



In the days of Paul just as now people worshipped idols and offered meat as a sacrifice.  It might be a big celebration where they sacrificed the meat to the idol and then ate it in a big feast.
Some Christians who were strong in their faith were invited by their non-Christian associates to join them at the temple during these celebrations. Now they might think, “This is a good socializing opportunity, and, hey, I’m a Christian, I know that the food sacrifice is as meaningless as the idol.  I might as well go and have a good time …and solidify my friendships over a meal. I might even have an opportunity to be a Christian witness to them.”
Well, some of the people who see you partying at the temple might have been a Christian only for a short time and recall when they ate at that temple of the idol as a form of worship themselves. We might say they are new students of the Good News. Maybe their resolve and conscience is still weak and they look to us as examples of good Christians and leaders of the faith.
We know eating the meat is harmless and the idol is futile, neither can bring us any closer to God. But what if seeing us eating at the temple convinces our friends that they should partake of the food of the idol and perchance slip back to their old ways?
If we strong ones do this, our knowledge of good and evil may destroy the weaker brother or sister without our knowing it. In fact if this happens, we have sinned against Christ and become a stumbling block to them. Nobody needs a millstone around one’s neck.
So the better way is if the meat causes my brother or sister to fail, I should avoid the meat.

Now, we all know that Paul was talking about a real situation in his letter with the meat and the idols, but Paul was a skilled pastor and writer, he is offering also a lesson about life.
What do you think might be some of the “food for idols” we encounter?
Here are some examples to think about:
1. I go to the 7-11 with my new buddy at the Shelter to buy an 6-pack of soft drink. They are on sale for $2 plus the 19 cents tax. I give the cashier a five expecting $2.81 back. By accident the cashier gives me $3.81. Now, we all know the guys who own these 7-11 stores are milking us with overpriced stuff, so I keep the extra dollar.  What lesson am I teaching my buddy?
2. We get a job painting a room in a house. The owner gives me $50 to go to Ace to pick up tarps, primer and rollers expecting me to bring back the left-over change. I take my new buddy along and pick up everything. I see a painter’s coat for $10 that would help me keep clean and I can use it later, so I pack the coat with the other stuff I’m buying with the $50 and bring back the change.  What lesson am I teaching my buddy?
Nobody needs a millstone around their neck.

No comments: