The Narrow Gate

Welcome to the continuation of my blog, post-seminary. Ministry and evangelism have brought me back home to Chattanooga. I welcome your company on my journey.

The original blog, Down In Mississippi, shared stories from 2008 and 2009 of the hope and determination of people in the face of disaster wrought by the hurricanes Rita and Katrina in 2005, of work done primarily by volunteers from churches across America and with financial support of many aid agencies and private donations and the Church. My Mississippi posts really ended with the post of August 16, 2009. Much work, especially for the neediest, remained undone after the denominational church pulled out. Such is the nature of institutions. The world still needs your hands for a hand up. I commend to you my seven stories, Down in Mississippi I -VII, at the bottom of this page and the blog posts. They describe an experience of grace.



Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Day 316 - Part Time Passion

When Tom Peters wrote these words in his management development book, Thriving on Chaos, it seems to me that he really hit the nail on the head for what is wrong with a good part of our church and our culture. I wonder if he'd been reading the address to the church of Laodicea in Rev. 3:14 ff?

"Would that you were cold or hot!"

No one can work beyond their limits, at least not for long; but I am saddened when I see so much of an attitude of "take it easy," "don't rock the boat," or deference to a "rule" made on the spot not to help rather than help a person standing before you it has is in need. We have too many folks looking to work well below their limits, folks who may never soar and see how much they can do if they try.

Every person that we fail to help is a heartbreak for me, yet for some, it is just another day at the office. I wonder sometimes, good people that they are, if they know what heartbreak feels like?

Peace

1 comment:

Yesterday's Blessing said...

Henry, you are in my prayers. You seem weary. The ministry to which you are called is important, and your sharing in this blog is a vital part of it for people like me. I hope to meet you next month when our Central NYS mission team works in Pearlington.