The Narrow Gate

Welcome to the continuation of my blog, post-seminary. Ministry and evangelism have brought me back home to Chattanooga. I welcome your company on my journey.

The original blog, Down In Mississippi, shared stories from 2008 and 2009 of the hope and determination of people in the face of disaster wrought by the hurricanes Rita and Katrina in 2005, of work done primarily by volunteers from churches across America and with financial support of many aid agencies and private donations and the Church. My Mississippi posts really ended with the post of August 16, 2009. Much work, especially for the neediest, remained undone after the denominational church pulled out. Such is the nature of institutions. The world still needs your hands for a hand up. I commend to you my seven stories, Down in Mississippi I -VII, at the bottom of this page and the blog posts. They describe an experience of grace.



Monday, February 9, 2009

Day 315 - Good Day Sunshine

Well today was a mix of good and difficult as usual. One nice thing about this work is you usually get a bit of good to brighten the bit of darkness in the day, sort of a sweet and sour situation.

It was a rushed day though, I had to help get some things straightened out in Texas, help an associate pull together some statistics on cases we've closed for headquarters, had to go by a client's house in Gulfport to pick up some left over materials and get them back to the village, and drive to Pearlington for the above and to pick up paint swatches for a client in Gulfport that got carried to Pearlington by mistake - and then I stopped by the gym to ride the stationary bike for 40 minutes.

I went over to oversee the removal of a roof on the poor woman's home who has ben so seriously taken advantage of in Pearlington. It is a hard problem. It looks like she may file a complaint with the attorney general - maybe that will do something.

I got a call late in the day from a member of the Hancock County Resource Committee. He was asking about a case in Bay Saint Louis that his records indicate we are the work partner. It was late in the day and I didn't recognize the name, it may date back over a year.

It was a compliment for my organization to be called, it takes a while to build confidence in this local community.

Also, keep our friend Jeremy in your prayers as he struggles with an illness.

Grace and Peace.

No comments: