The Narrow Gate

Welcome to the continuation of my blog, post-seminary. Ministry and evangelism have brought me back home to Chattanooga. I welcome your company on my journey.

The original blog, Down In Mississippi, shared stories from 2008 and 2009 of the hope and determination of people in the face of disaster wrought by the hurricanes Rita and Katrina in 2005, of work done primarily by volunteers from churches across America and with financial support of many aid agencies and private donations and the Church. My Mississippi posts really ended with the post of August 16, 2009. Much work, especially for the neediest, remained undone after the denominational church pulled out. Such is the nature of institutions. The world still needs your hands for a hand up. I commend to you my seven stories, Down in Mississippi I -VII, at the bottom of this page and the blog posts. They describe an experience of grace.



Friday, December 25, 2015

Day 1110 - Merry Christmas to the World

When we sit through the Christmas Eve service and listen to the lessons, hopefully we are wrapped in the moment of joy and anticipation of the coming morning. Children are singing, carols are sung, old friends seen once a year nod at one another, the lights are dimmed and candles shared as we go into the night singing "Silent Night."
I have a weakness that shows on Christmas morning. I go into my study and sort through my iTunes library until I come to Handel’s Messiah sung by the Academy of St, Martin in the Fields & Sir Neville Marriner. Many younger people may not appreciate this old musical work.
I have four choruses that I play on Christmas morning. I turn my volume to maximum, counting on the speakers to give me precise response to the low and high frequencies of the instrumental and vocal parts.
The four choruses I play, in order, are “For Unto Us a Child Is Born,” “Behold the Lamb of God,” “And the Glory of The Lord,” ending with the floor-shaking “Worthy is The Lamb.” (I guess perhaps I’m motivated a little in this by Janis Joplin’s plan to use the band “Full Tilt Boogie” as her powerhouse backing band – I try to ignore the tragic irony in the fate of the collaboration’s short-lived existence during Janis’ concluding, losing struggle against the demons of the world.)
One might wonder why I choose Worthy is The Lamb, if my reference to Janius Joplin didn't give it away. "Worthy is the Lamb" can be sort of a “downer” in this joyous time.
We become so enthralled with Christmas, the gifts. Perhaps for me it is seeing family that have flown the nest, hoping to see all the grandchildren, nephews and nieces, brothers and sisters, them all. Family means a lot, doesn't it?
This gathering of families seems a subtle and pointed reminder of the meaning of Christmas. You see to me, Christmas is not the Christian holiday, rather it is Easter.
Hence, you can see why I chose “Worthy is the Lamb” as the last piece. It recalls John 1: 5-14. He came into a world of His own making, yet the world did not know him and His people rejected him. A new ethical standard broke into the world that day, the ethic of humility that defies and defeats the power of death.
Christmas is a celebration of birth, yet at its core it is not the celebration of Christ’s birth, but our rebirth. Christmas points to Easter that is the only Christian Holiday for God's family.
Consider the way we place Easter and Christmas in our yearly timekeeping. Easter actually points to Christmas. As they say in French, Easter is our raison d'ĂȘtre.
Christmas points towards the new life of Easter people.

So, Janis, Let's forget the color TV and Mercedes Benz. I hope you finally found true peace. 
Merry Christmas to all!

No comments: