The Narrow Gate

Welcome to the continuation of my blog, post-seminary. Ministry and evangelism have brought me back home to Chattanooga. I welcome your company on my journey.

The original blog, Down In Mississippi, shared stories from 2008 and 2009 of the hope and determination of people in the face of disaster wrought by the hurricanes Rita and Katrina in 2005, of work done primarily by volunteers from churches across America and with financial support of many aid agencies and private donations and the Church. My Mississippi posts really ended with the post of August 16, 2009. Much work, especially for the neediest, remained undone after the denominational church pulled out. Such is the nature of institutions. The world still needs your hands for a hand up. I commend to you my seven stories, Down in Mississippi I -VII, at the bottom of this page and the blog posts. They describe an experience of grace.



Thursday, January 8, 2015

Day 755 - Decisions, Decisions

A Sermon given at New Hope Presbyterian Church, Chattanooga, TN January 4, 2015, Epiphany Sunday

OT Reading: Isaiah 60:1-9
NT Reading: Matthew 2:1-12

The actual title of this sermon is "Decisions, Decisions," but its subtitle is "Let Every Circumstance be an Opportunity to Shine." By the time you are finished reading, I hope you see the connection. In the liturgical calendar, this Sunday was Epiphany.
     Epiphany means a sudden appearance of a great light, a revelation from God. Matthew, Luke and John use “light” to significant a Divine message to the people. Matthew tells us the Magi followed the light of a star to Jesus, on the way revealing to King Herod the existence of the new King before seeing Jesus with their own eyes.
Luke (2:22-40) uses Simeon’s song in the temple to proclaim in Jesus he has seen in Jesus a great light that is the revelation to all people. Simeon says Jesus will cause the rise and fall of many in Israel and reveal the inner thoughts of many. (Lest you think I ignored it, this passage pointedly included both a man, Simeon, and a woman, Hannah, who were revealing the Christ event.)
John calls Jesus the true Light. In each Gospel “light” symbolizes the revelation of God’s plan for Jesus in the World. That is why we call this Sunday Epiphany.
For most of us, the Magi are one of the principal players in the Christmas story. Like many of you, I recall my brother and I when we were children placing the wise men around our Christmas crèche under the tree with the sheep and cattle, Joseph, Mary and the infant Jesus even though as I later learned in adulthood that the Magi were not at the birth scene, but visited perhaps 2 years later.  But timing is not really an issue with Matthew. The Magi are Matthew’s way to signify the revelation of Jesus’ presence in the World.
With our focus on the birth scene in this story, I wonder how many have in the front of our mind Herod’s meeting with the Magi?  The revelation of the Magi was also to Herod, Rome’s installed Jewish King, arguably as important as the actual visit to the baby Jesus.
Epiphany on another level is a story about decisions.  Herod was a Jewish puppet leader who curried the favor of Rome but kept his collusion hidden in darkness. After the visit with the Magi, King Herod understands this is the King of Jews who is the shepherd of the people of Israel. King Herod had the opportunity to shine and be part of this great transformation of the world of his people by God. But he knew the words of Micah repeated in Luke 1:52-53, (I quote the The Message paraphrase translation but the link is to the more direct translation of the Greek: ) “52He knocked tyrants off their high horses, pulled victims out of the mud. 53 The starving poor sat down to a banquet; the callous rich were left out in the cold.
The news of the new king didn’t sit well with Herod so he decided to use the opportunity of the Magi’s visit to try to kill this new king, this new light, fearing him as a rival. Herod faced an opportunity to shine and chose darkness over light.
The Magi also faced a decision when they saw the child. They understood by revelation who Jesus is. Knowing Herod’s intent, they decided to return home avoiding Herod.  The Magi seized this opportunity to pay homage to the baby Jesus as an opportunity to shine by protecting the child’s location.
Epiphany is a time is discover and seize our opportunities to shine as a continuing revelation of Hope to the world.
The Why of Hope. In my last sermon I talked of the ”Why of hope.” I pointed out that we often look at the growth and survival of our congregation is the context of what are we going to do to stabilize or expand it, often overlooking the basic question “Why are we here?” or “Why are we worshipping?”
I maintained this sequence “what, how, why” is backwards to a constructive presence of Christianity in the World.  Before we decide what to do, we need to clearly understand literally why we worship God.  With that answer in hand, we can ask “How do we send that message of faith to the world?  Put another way, John says only God will bring people to faithful worship. That changes the “how” question to “How can God use us, our faith and our worship experience, as a beacon to the community?” Answering that question  is a challenge that requires discernment, or illumination.
The Problem of Darkness.  We understand the problem of darkness when intentional sin is involved. We hide our sins in the darkness behind closed doors, or in the privacy of our thoughts deluding ourselves that our sin isn't visible to us, the world, or God. But the problem of darkness I want to emphasize today is not intentional sin but the darkness of being unaware of our power as Christians and a congregation. I’m not tossing stones raising this question. Even if I wanted to, I don’t know you well enough and tossing stones and it usually only closes minds. But I am talking about the comfort that dulls our awareness. It afflicts us all, sometimes by singing hymns repetitively until they becomes a rote exercise where we are dulled to the meaning of the lyrics. Any ritual of worship taken for granted can fall victim to this problem. Even communion can fall victim if we do not come to the table with thankful and open hearts.
Discernment.  Discernment and faith is the weapon that heals that kind of blindness to our gifts.  We find the answer to “How we do use our gifts to proclaim it as a proclamation to the world of the Good News by discernment.
We discover how to proclaim our good gifts through discerning God’s calling for our actions. Discernment is simply a short cut way to say we use prayerful contemplation, discussion of our history and present, reading and listening for the illumination of the Holy Spirit (there I go using a “light” word again). Discernment is a conversation with God about our faith that we will discover the answer to the question, “How should we be a light in the world?” With that answer, we can go after the “what question.”
Discernment requires us to step outside our comfort zone and answer the question, how do we honor God?  You need to know the why, how and possibly ideas of the what because your new pastor will want to know your idea of the why and how of Christian living in New Hope Presbyterian Church to work with you on what to do.
The How of Hope is finding an opportunity to shine in every circumstance. Today I’m really talking about the “How of Hope;” how to discern opportunities to shine in the world and go do it. The one essential power behind discernment is hope or faith.
Discernment will reveal many opportunities to shine than we appreciate. Our challenge… is focusing on particular
Opportunities may be as simple as writing a welcoming note to a visitor or inviting a young couple to worship with us. Both can have far-reaching consequences. That invited person may begin a cascade by inviting their friends to worship. Opportunities always abound. You have to keep your eyes open. Let me tell you a story about faith and opportunity to shine.
In my volunteer time after Katrina I heard a man’s story about Christian faith and action in Pearlington, a small hamlet on the Pearl River about a mile or so from the Gulf.  Like almost every one, Buddy’s house was inundated and almost washed away, he and his family barely survived the storm. One day I asked him why he didn’t leave before the storm and his story poured out.
Buddy stayed behind not by choice, but by necessity. He realized the danger very early in the morning with a few hours to get out before the high winds of the approaching storm began felling the trees blocking all exit roads. But there was no time to collect his mother, sister, a cousin and four of her kids. When the force of the storm began to hit the area he gets a call from his friend Howard who lives a few blocks away. Howard can barely walk even with a walker and he was frantic because the fire department promised to evacuate him but abandoned him as time ran out.
 “So, Mr. Henry, then I surely couldn’t leave Howard and my family. I got over to Howard’s in my truck as fast as I could and drove him back over to my house. Even with a chain saw it took me over an hour to there and back with all the falling trees. We all got back to my house where we intended to wait Katrina out.
"The wind was snapping trees like matchsticks. It was terrifying. When the eye came over us and the sun came out, we all went outside. The road north to I-10 was fully blocked by trees and debris. There was no way to drive out, no electricity for well water and no cell phone service to call somebody for help. We were stuck.
"While I’m standing there looking southwest towards the Gulf and the Pearl River, all the sudden a couple hundred yards away this wall of water rises and slowly rolls towards me pushing broken trees and all sorts of trash before it. I turned around and started running towards my house, yelling ‘get everybody in the house, get in the house!’
 “The water was up already to mid-calf when I was half-way to the house and I was starting to think maybe the house and I wouldn’t make it. I kept my fishing boat in the front yard, so I started yelling to the family, ‘Get in the boat! Get in the boat!’ But mother yelled ‘no way, how do we get Howard in?’ They got him in.
 “By the time I swam to the boat all I could do was hang on in water over head deep. I managed to swim the boat over to the submerged porch floor and we got all eight people on it except me. It was raining like crazy and I decided we had to risk getting into the house because the boat was too dangerous with that many people and the water was still rising. But now the water was too high to get in the first floor, so we stayed in the boat, and were able to climb onto the porch roof with the idea to break in a dormer window to get in the attic - but we had no hammer.
 “I knew my submerged truck was parked in the yard over by the oak. I started swimming towards the oak where the truck ought to be.  My family was screaming because they thought I was caught in the current and washing away. My feet bumped the open door or roof of my truck. I took a deep breath and dived. I managed to grab the doorframe and pull myself into the bed of the truck fighting the heavy current. I felt my tool chest, fumbled the clasp open and felt and grabbed my crow bar and surfaced. Then I shoved the bar under my belt and pushed off against the trunk of the tree and swam to the boat.
 “We got the boat tight up against the porch roof. I climbed on the roof and forced the dormer open with my crow bar. My cousin and I lifted Howard out of the boat and everybody else scrambled up and into the attic about the time the wind started really picking up again. 
We waited out Katrina in the darkness of the attic. We couldn’t even stand up. It was the most frightening experience I’ve ever had, the howling wind, trees cracking, shingles tearing off the roof and the water was still slowly rising.  All sorts of things were floating and blowing by on the water and you could hear the furniture bumping the walls and ceiling downstairs.  We were paralyzed by fear. My mother kept crying for us all throughout the whole eight or ten hours we were in the attic, ‘“God help us, We are all going to die.’ 
Buddy took a deep breath and continued.
"When the water and wind subsided we got down out of the attic into the house. Everything was covered by a foul smelling sludge. Outside everything was thrown about and scattered. The damage was just unbelievable.
It took almost two hours but I walked over and checked out Howard’s house. I should say to Howard’s lot. His house was off the foundation and crushed.
 “Mr. Henry, Howard would have died if he’s stayed in it. That is when I knew I was supposed to stay. Because I stayed, I saved Howard’s life.
Here we were three years later and tears still welled in the reddened edges of his eyes as he finished the story.
 “But there is a little more, Mr. Henry. A few days later I was cleaning out all the filth in my living room when my neighbor Joe came over to talk.  I guess he wanted to compare the damage in my house to his.
 “Joe was looking at my living room wall where I had a crucifix that amazingly managed to stay put through all the water. The high water mark on the wall just touched Christ’s outstretched arms on the cross.
"Joe said, 'That crucifix is something else.' Then he asked me, 'Buddy, are you going to put it back on the wall after you are done cleaning up this place?'
 “Yes, I sure am.
'Well, Buddy, how about putting him a little closer to the floor this time.'"
After all the misery, terror of death, and loss of everything they owned, Buddy and Joe found an unreasonable faith in Christ through that crucifix that drove his actions.
Buddy did not set out to be a hero, to put others’ lives ahead of his own. When the circumstance presented itself, Buddy acted. It is easy to say he decided to stay, but there likely was no hesitation and conscious “I am going to stay” thought process when he swam for his toolbox, or when he got in his truck to get over to Howard’s.

I’m sure Buddy has done some things he should not have done, we were in deep Mississippi where a lot of things have been done in darkness. But deep inside, Buddy has a spark of faith. His decision to stay was made long ago when that spark of faith ignited.

Grace and Peace.

No comments: