The Narrow Gate

Welcome to the continuation of my blog, post-seminary. Ministry and evangelism have brought me back home to Chattanooga. I welcome your company on my journey.

The original blog, Down In Mississippi, shared stories from 2008 and 2009 of the hope and determination of people in the face of disaster wrought by the hurricanes Rita and Katrina in 2005, of work done primarily by volunteers from churches across America and with financial support of many aid agencies and private donations and the Church. My Mississippi posts really ended with the post of August 16, 2009. Much work, especially for the neediest, remained undone after the denominational church pulled out. Such is the nature of institutions. The world still needs your hands for a hand up. I commend to you my seven stories, Down in Mississippi I -VII, at the bottom of this page and the blog posts. They describe an experience of grace.



Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Day 204 - I'm Not Like You (A reflection on Romans 14 for Children 7/7/13)


Paul was a preacher and he did not like it when his congregations started accusing each other of doing bad things. He asked his congregation, “Why do you pass judgment on your brother or sister?”  Paul knows that the although his congregations work in the world like Jesus did when he was a living man, the world and the congregation is made up many kinds of people:  ones who eat differently, pray differently, celebrate differently, sing differently and live differently from one another but still earnestly love and worship God.  But those differences should never cause us to judge of one another.  

It reminds me of a story about a girl called Liz who had a friend named Evelyn, and they were really different. Evelyn would wear a blue dress to school and Liz would say “I’m Not like you, I like pink dresses and she would smile. Eveyln would show up after school for the softball team wearing Nike shoes. Her friend would say I’m Not like you I wear Aditas shoes, and then she would smile. They would go to church and when they said the Lord’s Prayer Evelyn would say “forgive us a trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.” Her friend Liz would lean over and whisper, “I’m Not like you, I say it right, “forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors,” and then she would look at Evelyn and smile. When they sang the hymns Evelyn always sang in a soft voice but Liz always sang loudly. After the hymn, Liz would lean over and say “I’m Not like you, I sing so people can hear me!, and then she would smile at Evelyn.
 All this made Evelyn feel pretty bad like she was some kind of outcast and was doing the wrong things. But as she walked out of church that day, she had an idea and turned to Liz and said, I should change your name to “I’m Not Like You” but  I won’t because every time you tell me I’m not like you about whatever I am doing or saying or wearing, I realize you are right! I’m not you at all, but what I am is your friend who goes to the same school, plays on the same ball team, goes to the same church and prays to the same God. So even though we are very, very different people, we are pretty much alike, and then Evelyn smiled at her friend Liz and gave her a hug.
From that day on, her friend never again said “I’m not like you because…..” Liz realized she was thankful and blessed that Evelyn was different than her. It made her appreciate that there are all kind of people in the world that do things differently than she does and just because they are different is no reason to criticize them because their differences are what make them absolutely perfect friends for each other since they both worked together, especially at church !
That is why Paul says we better not judge others. They may be helping us be better Christians because we learn to love each other even though we are different. 


No comments: