The Narrow Gate

Welcome to the continuation of my blog, post-seminary. Ministry and evangelism have brought me back home to Chattanooga. I welcome your company on my journey.

The original blog, Down In Mississippi, shared stories from 2008 and 2009 of the hope and determination of people in the face of disaster wrought by the hurricanes Rita and Katrina in 2005, of work done primarily by volunteers from churches across America and with financial support of many aid agencies and private donations and the Church. My Mississippi posts really ended with the post of August 16, 2009. Much work, especially for the neediest, remained undone after the denominational church pulled out. Such is the nature of institutions. The world still needs your hands for a hand up. I commend to you my seven stories, Down in Mississippi I -VII, at the bottom of this page and the blog posts. They describe an experience of grace.



Sunday, May 5, 2013

Day 147 - Do Not Be Afraid

A sermon delivered at First Presbyterian Church, Soddy-Daisy, May 5, 2013
Scripture texts (NRSV): Psalm 67,  John 14:22-29 (see John 13,14 for reference)


Our Scripture readings follow Jesus towards his Ascension 40 days after his resurrection that we honor this Thursday, and Pentecost, fifty days from Easter two weeks hence when we honor the descent of the Holy Spirit to the disciples. As I prepared my sermon, I read about books and stories.
We often forget that very few people could read or write in the days of Jesus. There was no printing press or actual books with pages for 100 - 200 years after Christ. There was no paper, only clay that was scribed and fired, fragile papyrus made by criss-crossing reeds to make a sheet, parchment made by a complicated treatment of animal skins that were stitched together to form a large scroll, or if you had money and resources, thin sheets of copper, bronze, or lead.
Making a scroll was a monumental and costly undertaking. The length of the longest book in what we call the Old Testament, Isaiah, was determined by how much writing could fit on the longest scroll that could be rolled up. A parchment scroll is rare, delicate and cannot be touched lest the ink smudge or wear away. Therefore, the majority of people depended on oral history, or some one reading ancient scrolls that captured that oral history.
There are two very important but often-overlooked points about the written scripture and oral history for us Christians. First, much of our religious tradition depends on how well people remembered and handed down the stories of Jesus and the disciples until scribes and monks began writing the Scripture in words of books in the second century.
It is remarkable how accurately their orally transmitted stories captured knowledge before they were written down.  People depended so much on memory they developed tricks to get very, very good at remembering. For example, Homer’s epic sagas, Illiad and Odyssey (27,800 lines) were passed on orally for hundreds of years before being reduced to text.
Second, we bring our own bias to the situation thinking the Scripture was transmitted to us literally and perfectly because it is divinely guided inspiration. There are multiple examples of scribal errors in the fragmentary documents used to create our current Gospels, epistles and Old Testament. One scribe would annotate a critical comment in the margin of a manuscript interpreting what a line meant that he had copied, or wondering if it belonged elsewhere. Later another scribe making a subsequent copy may incorporate that remark into the text. Sometimes a sentence is copied out of place. Some times entire passages are out of place in different manuscripts. In my mind however, that does not diminish the importance and the sacred preeminence of Scripture.
We actually lose something when we rely totally on reading the written record of remembered experience. We can easily fall into the habit of putting more faith in the actual words than listening for the message in the story.  Today’s reading in John tells us exactly why we have the Holy Spirit to remind and help us understand the Lord’s Word. Our children followed the Holy Spriti when they performed their play.
For me, the Gospel story begs to be heard in worship as the story of Good News, just like the old hymn, Tell me the old, old story.  Hearing the recounted story magnifies the importance of the message more than its words.  A story paints a picture of real life, and a good story puts you right in the action.
I’m going to preach this text in John differently; I’m going to tell a story.

They call me the disciple Jesus loved. I enjoy the compliment and we were really close, but calling me that causes a lot of trouble with Peter.
It has been over a month since the troubles. You cannot imagine what we have been through. We have gone from feeling the highest of highs to the pit of despair and back again. We are all still pretty confused.
Think about it. We saw Jesus raise Lazarus from the dead and we were so overjoyed we took six days to get everybody together for a great supper to celebrate his resurrection; but it was a strange supper. It was the day before we went to Jerusalem for Passover. Mary started anointing Jesus’ feet with costly nard and he ended in an argument with Judas and telling us he was going to be buried. It made no sense.
Then the night of the day we got to Jerusalem we had another puzzling supper. Jesus took off his robe and wrapped a towel around his waist and washed our feet. We protested but he kept saying the pupil isn’t greater than the teacher but neither is the teacher greater than us. He talked about going away where we couldn’t come. It was all really strange to me  - this burial talk and saying he was leaving us.
Then he gives us a new commandment - to love each other. I think he was repeating the most important of our Laws to make a point that we should love the Lord with all our heart and mind because The Lord created us and loves us; and if the Lord loves us we must love all of his creation, our neighbors and even our enemies. But I’ve got to tell you, after seeing what happened next that is a hard commandment to love the Romans and those priests after what they did. What they did was really bad, but Jesus said we have to love them anyway.  Then He said one of us would betray him, and it turned out Jesus was right. I can’t believe Judas did it, but he got his reward I guess.  What a supper.
He said a lot of things then that I didn’t really understand until now, and still I’m not yet sure I know what to do. How did he know all this? How am I supposed to find the will to love those people who killed him? How can I face all that hostility?
When he began talking to us he said not to worry. His exact words were, “Do not let your hearts be troubled.” He was preparing us.
Then he said something really amazing. Jesus said he and the Lord were the same person, that the Lord’s home was his home AND the Lord’s home would be our home, even for our enemies.  Philip said if that is true then show us the Father. Jesus got sort of mad and accused us of not believing what he said after all this time together. He told us if we didn’t want to believe the words of the Lord, then believe his works.
And then he said even stranger things. I’m still thinking about what he said because I don’t understand it. It just does not make sense, it isn’t logical, I can’t reason it out.
He said he was telling us these things while he was still here.  He said that even though he was going away, he wouldn’t leave us like orphaned children. I was thinking what is he talking about? I had no idea then that he was going to be crucified.
What I can’t understand is that He said when he went away he was going to send somebody back. I thought he meant some person, but then he said it was the Holy Spirit, the breath of God! I was wondering if he had maybe one too many glasses of our wine, but he said his Father would send the Spirit and it would teach us and remind us of everything he said.  He said it more than once.
I hope he is right. I am a pretty good storyteller, I have had a lot of practice memorizing things so I can tell a story properly, but his story, I don’t know. So much has happened, so many bad things, so many good things. Sometimes I feel dazed like somebody slapped me on the side of the head. I worry about remembering all He said. I sure hope he is right about that Breath of God. He also called it “our Advocate.” He said it would teach us everything he said and remind us of it. I sure hope so.
Actually after talking to you about it and telling this story, I feel a little better now. Like I said, I don’t understand it all yet, but I feel better. It is something about this place.
He said two more things at supper on that night before the bottom fell out of everything. He said he was leaving it to us to make peace in the world. I guess he was thinking about that greatest commandment he told us, to love God and our neighbor. I’m not sure he thinks we can do it perfectly because he told us next, “my peace I give to you.”  I sure hope he is right, because he was so peaceful even as things got so crazy. No matter what kind of evil and suffering he saw, he didn’t get mad, except once. I guess if he really is the Lord, he has the right to get mad when he saw all the mess in the temple. I wasn’t there but I heard about it, the time at Passover when he went into the temple and saw all the buying and selling and cheating widows and then chased all the moneylenders out. I could use his peace, I actually feel it  a bit when I stop and think about him.
When he began talking to us at the last Supper, he started off saying, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives.” Now that his crucifixion and resurrection is all over, what was so unusual at the end of the supper after he told us he was giving us his peace, he repeated what he said when he began talking, “Do not let your hearts be troubled.”
And then it all happened. Everything went dark. They arrested, tried and crucified him in the space of a day. Before he died he told me that Mary, his mother, was now my mother. He really loved me, even as he was about to die he was worried about me. Everybody ran away and Peter denied him. We still can’t believe Peter did it but we are all glad it wasn't us in the courtyard. We were all so terrified we would be next on the cross, and the fact is, I still am.
Now I know what he meant, he was telling us not to worry about what was to happen next because he would becoming back, and he did, he really did.
Jesus has been here over a month. We went fishing yesterday and caught an unbelievable amount of fish. We wonder how can he do this, but we are all afraid to ask him again who he is.
You can ask Thomas though, he was the one who was so insistent on seeing the wounds.  As usual, Jesus made a big lesson out of Thomas, he told him to think how blessed are those who haven’t seen Him but believe. I haven’t yet figured out exactly what he meant by that but I’m praying about it.
I feel change is in the air though. What worries me so much is what he whispered to me at the fire last night while all of us were all eating. He said that very soon he was going to leave again for good, some time this week. I wonder if he will be here on Thursday? He will have been with us forty days then.
If he is leaving for good, I don’t see how we can do what he told us to do without some help. Love everyone like God loves us. He told us three times to feed his sheep.  How are we going to do it?  I have a feeling he is going to show us how and it has something to do with that Holy Spirit. I can only wait and listen. He did say, “Do not let your hearts be troubled.”  

No comments: