The Narrow Gate

Welcome to the continuation of my blog, post-seminary. Ministry and evangelism have brought me back home to Chattanooga. I welcome your company on my journey.

The original blog, Down In Mississippi, shared stories from 2008 and 2009 of the hope and determination of people in the face of disaster wrought by the hurricanes Rita and Katrina in 2005, of work done primarily by volunteers from churches across America and with financial support of many aid agencies and private donations and the Church. My Mississippi posts really ended with the post of August 16, 2009. Much work, especially for the neediest, remained undone after the denominational church pulled out. Such is the nature of institutions. The world still needs your hands for a hand up. I commend to you my seven stories, Down in Mississippi I -VII, at the bottom of this page and the blog posts. They describe an experience of grace.



Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day 473 - Construction



I think it is a time for retrospection.

In the next blog entry or two I intend to consider what PDA has done, what it is, and what a new (future) vision might be were we to move it beyond its stumbling, but effective beginnings. The vision begins with the premise that the purpose of PDA is:

1. To be consistent with the tradition of the reformed faith.

2. To be a vehicle to facilitate the action of the church at large to:
a.) operate from the perspective of the sermon on the mount.
b.) facilitate the members of the church at large to provide christian compassion and action by offering a hand up to those who have suffered disaster in person, place or spirit.

I think this vision will build on what PC(USA)/PDA has done. That is, it will be a framework built on recognition of its mistakes and failures; and on the incidental blessings pursuant to its actions.

I proffer the hypothesis its form and implementation will be quite different from its current one, but be a blessing to the church and a move closer to home for us all.


Stay tuned.

No comments: