The Narrow Gate

Welcome to the continuation of my blog, post-seminary. Ministry and evangelism have brought me back home to Chattanooga. I welcome your company on my journey.

The original blog, Down In Mississippi, shared stories from 2008 and 2009 of the hope and determination of people in the face of disaster wrought by the hurricanes Rita and Katrina in 2005, of work done primarily by volunteers from churches across America and with financial support of many aid agencies and private donations and the Church. My Mississippi posts really ended with the post of August 16, 2009. Much work, especially for the neediest, remained undone after the denominational church pulled out. Such is the nature of institutions. The world still needs your hands for a hand up. I commend to you my seven stories, Down in Mississippi I -VII, at the bottom of this page and the blog posts. They describe an experience of grace.



Friday, May 29, 2009

Day 425 -Lingering Reflections

We had a big spring rain this year and the Pearl River ran quite high. Here is one of the locals enjoying a stroll at the boat ramp. All you see here beyond the tern is reflection of the sky and telephone pole.



The rising water always threatens the village because a small swamp is just behind the shower trailer. The water made it up onto the concrete before subsiding.



Sorry the exposure is a little off; here is a remnant of Katrina about a block from the Pearl River. The stump has been here all this time.




Many of us heard there was a plan to bring in water to Pearlington since before Katrina. I imagine this fire hydrant is a good background for my good bye to Pearlington, 2009.



I've said it over and over, much damage remains to be repaired. In Gulfport near the Waffle House on US 90 I came across these flowers sprouting out of concrete pad where a building once stood.



Across the street, I find an oak that didn't survive.



Bye, Jessi.




What will I find on my return?

Peace

1 comment:

kmm said...

Peace Henry.

I wish we could remain in touch. Do you need sponsorship? Please advise.

With regret I have left FAPC, and my companion/co-trip leader. Moved to Redeemer Presbyterian; I needed more Word of God.

Motto of the State of NY: Excelsior! (Onward and Upward).