The Narrow Gate

Welcome to the continuation of my blog, post-seminary. Ministry and evangelism have brought me back home to Chattanooga. I welcome your company on my journey.

The original blog, Down In Mississippi, shared stories from 2008 and 2009 of the hope and determination of people in the face of disaster wrought by the hurricanes Rita and Katrina in 2005, of work done primarily by volunteers from churches across America and with financial support of many aid agencies and private donations and the Church. My Mississippi posts really ended with the post of August 16, 2009. Much work, especially for the neediest, remained undone after the denominational church pulled out. Such is the nature of institutions. The world still needs your hands for a hand up. I commend to you my seven stories, Down in Mississippi I -VII, at the bottom of this page and the blog posts. They describe an experience of grace.



Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Day 388 - Reminiscence and Anticipation

The past two weeks have been a difficult combination of decision, changes and memories. This is the last week we will have volunteers and active relief work in Orange Grove.

Two weeks ago I made my decision on seminary – I’m heading for Union PSCE in Richmond. I had been seeking to rent my home for the last couple of months but finally got tired of the waiting and listed it for sale two weeks ago. I got an offer last Saturday afternoon and by Sunday afternoon we had a handshake deal. They want a fast closing so at the latest by the end of May I will be houseless.

What makes everything more stressful is PC (USA) is forcing us to take a week of unpaid leave between the middle of May and the first week of June, even though we are mission workers.

* * *

This week we have a small group from Fairfax, Virginia who were here last fall. They have been down many times staying at Gautier early on in 2005 and at other villages. There is a similar group in Pearlington from Arkansas.

In Orange Grove last night, the Fairfax guys did a nice devotional. We ended up sharing stories of past trips. On their first trip down, either late in 2005 or early 2006 one of the guys said you still could barely drive down the streets of Gautier. On each side of the street stood piles of refuse up to eight or more feet.

The piles contained TV’s, refrigerators, dressers, washers and dryers, air conditioners, and virtually any other household item you could imagine. The piles seemed to grow rather than shrink as people slowly began the painstaking cleanout of homes.

There was a fellow driving an old rattletrap pickup picking at the piles. He told the fellows he had lived here but went up to Tennessee due to Katrina, penniless. His friends in Tennessee put together $600 to buy him the truck. He and his family drove back down.

His three-year old daughter was with him. He would pull out from the pile an old air conditioner and start to work stripping the copper tubing. Any useful metal ended up in the bed of the truck.

He called one of the volunteers over and pointed to the two grocery bags in the front seat.

“I made enough from scrap the last two days to buy these groceries. We will get through this.”

* * *

The group in Pearlington told an interesting story.

“We came down to Gautier, over between Biloxi and Pascagoula. It was about three months after Katrina. We stayed in tents on the grounds of a Presbyterian Church.

“We had a little controversy. The pastor wanted us to work only on church members houses and to avoid the rest of the community.

“That seemed so awfully wrong. We left before the week was up rather than do what he wanted. We’ve never been back. We go to Louisiana or Pearlington. This is our ninth trip.

“We hear you are closing down Pearlington. We will keep coming down as long as there is a place to stay. Whether its PC (USA) or not.

* * *
This week we are finishing the second bathroom of the foster parents’ home. It feels so good to finish a job and see the look of thanksgiving.

I’m excited about seminary, it is a chance to give back so many things I’ve failed to give so far; but I keep thinking of my dear clients in Pearlington whose house was messed up by the contractor and whether or not we will get them in the house before mid-June (see Day 251).

Can I leave in good conscience if it isn’t ready?

My mind is beginning to change its focus, now I’m thinking more about those clients and how much can I get done in the next six weeks?

I’m thinking how much we need you to pick up the phone, call the call center and sign up to get to Pearlington, to get your presbytery to press headquarters about why are they not fighting harder for this mission.

I’m thinking about how Hezekiah’s wife Ruth (Day 210) said, “Mr. Henry, you are going to come back down and see us ain’t you? You aren’t gonna forget about us are you when you get off to school?”

I’m thinking, well, I’m thinking about how good it is to see you all down here and hoping that if I don’t see you here you are doing this mission at home.

We have to do the home blessing for Hezekiah and Ruth this week.

No comments: