The Narrow Gate

Welcome to the continuation of my blog, post-seminary. Ministry and evangelism have brought me back home to Chattanooga. I welcome your company on my journey.

The original blog, Down In Mississippi, shared stories from 2008 and 2009 of the hope and determination of people in the face of disaster wrought by the hurricanes Rita and Katrina in 2005, of work done primarily by volunteers from churches across America and with financial support of many aid agencies and private donations and the Church. My Mississippi posts really ended with the post of August 16, 2009. Much work, especially for the neediest, remained undone after the denominational church pulled out. Such is the nature of institutions. The world still needs your hands for a hand up. I commend to you my seven stories, Down in Mississippi I -VII, at the bottom of this page and the blog posts. They describe an experience of grace.



Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Day 282 - I'm sending out an SOS...

Yes, I'm old enough to remember the Police - Roxanne, A little Black Spot on the Sun Today...

Normally I'd just tell you all the stories of need down here and wait for you, but I get the feeling that many people are thinking there isn't much to do in the post-Katrina area. Believe me there is.

Every week new cases come our way:

- Families who were frozen in despair or confusion that now are seeking help,

- Folks who made really bad financial decisions because they never had to manage something like a big insurance check, or were stiffed by bogus contractors,

- Folks who maybe were too proud to ask for help and are self-funding their work but can't carry the load of a full time job, being a father and mother and do their own construction work. (I've been myself there and know how it drains you.)

This is a personal call or help. I have two families in Gulfport and at least one in the Pascagoula area facing removal of their FEMA cottages in between Jan. 31 and March 31 with no good alternatives, and unless we get more help for them in the near term, they will be in dire straights.

I have no volunteers for the last half of January and all of February in the Gulfport area. We have maybe 50 families in our current backlog.

Put together a 5 or 10 person crew, even more if you can, sign up and come on down in the last part of January or any time in February. There is a lot of drywall work, finish plumbing, flooring to do to list a few jobs. You will enjoy it. This is your chance to be, not the Police, but one of those unsung, beloved heroes that define us as a people.

What are you doing that is more important?

(We also could use more people in the spring (April-June).)

I look forward to seeing you soon.

No comments: