The Narrow Gate

Welcome to the continuation of my blog, post-seminary. Ministry and evangelism have brought me back home to Chattanooga. I welcome your company on my journey.

The original blog, Down In Mississippi, shared stories from 2008 and 2009 of the hope and determination of people in the face of disaster wrought by the hurricanes Rita and Katrina in 2005, of work done primarily by volunteers from churches across America and with financial support of many aid agencies and private donations and the Church. My Mississippi posts really ended with the post of August 16, 2009. Much work, especially for the neediest, remained undone after the denominational church pulled out. Such is the nature of institutions. The world still needs your hands for a hand up. I commend to you my seven stories, Down in Mississippi I -VII, at the bottom of this page and the blog posts. They describe an experience of grace.



Thursday, December 25, 2008

Day 270 - Christmas Day

I "spent" Christmas Eve in Chattanooga. On one hand my activity that day brought home how much I've (we've?) lost sight of what we celebrate. I waited until Tuesday to start shopping (not that it matters much since my budget for purchased gifts is quite 'modest' these days). The stores all had 50% reductions or more since so little money is being spent, except WalMart whose parking lot was packed almost completely with parked cars.

Fortunately, when I went to Thomas's (my older son) graduation (cum laude) I brought my camera. Also fortunately I brought my camera to Ship Island last summer, and also to a client's home and got some pretty good photographs. I purchased some frames for 50% off at Hobby Lobby along with some matting board and made some prints at Wolf Camera. So, after a few hours composing, cutting and trimming I managed several mounted prints, all good gifts ( in my thinking and hopefully in theirs) for the people in my life that mean something to me.

On the other hand, the Christmas Eve service at Northside reminded me of what is so good about God's gifts. We had a good service, I heard many of my younger son's friends read the Christmas story, saw Rachel a seminary student who asked if I'd made up my mind about Union PSCE. All I can say to her is I've done my part with all the paperwork to three seminaries and our presbytery, and soon, I hope, all I have to do is wait and contemplate what decisions (that I know will be hard) lie before me of what I am going to do. The only bittersweet things of the service was I didn't see Terry, Russell's erstwhile, proxy mom in his teen years to whom I owe much; and this was JoeB Martin IV's last service before he leaves for Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church in Sandy Springs, aka, Atlanta. JoeB is a good friend who does not let me forget my gifts and obligations.

God is good. While I'm writing this entry on Christmas day, shortly after midnight, my Ipod shuffle is playing a song from Messenger, a Christian rock group whose lead vocalist is a friend of mine in Vermont. Search for them on the web. Also, I got four Christmas best wishes e-mail, from the vocalist, from Joe K in Pearlington and from some of my associates who stayed in Gulfport for Christmas.

So friends, let's celebrate the joy of who we honor today and consider Simeon's song. Simeon was a devote man who would not see death before he had seen the Lord's Christ, a man who knew by the Holy Spirit what would unfold:

"Lord now let thy servant go in peace according to your word,
for I have seen your salvation which you have prepared in the presence of all your people,
a light to those in darkness outside your covenant and to the Glory of Israel.
Behold Mary, this child is set for the fall and rising of many in Israel,
and for a sign that is spoken against that thoughts out of many hearts may be revealed.
A sword will pierce through your own soul also."
(my paraphrase of Luke 2:25-35, RSV)

Do good to a stranger and remember the two greater commandments. Grace to you all and have a joyful and safe Christmas Day.

Henry

No comments: