The Narrow Gate

Welcome to the continuation of my blog, post-seminary. Ministry and evangelism have brought me back home to Chattanooga. I welcome your company on my journey.

The original blog, Down In Mississippi, shared stories from 2008 and 2009 of the hope and determination of people in the face of disaster wrought by the hurricanes Rita and Katrina in 2005, of work done primarily by volunteers from churches across America and with financial support of many aid agencies and private donations and the Church. My Mississippi posts really ended with the post of August 16, 2009. Much work, especially for the neediest, remained undone after the denominational church pulled out. Such is the nature of institutions. The world still needs your hands for a hand up. I commend to you my seven stories, Down in Mississippi I -VII, at the bottom of this page and the blog posts. They describe an experience of grace.



Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Day 220 - Reflection

I remember as a young boy riding to school on segregated city buses.

I remember walking in the local five and dime store in Rome, GA, seeing the signs over the water fountains and rest rooms that said “Colored” and “White.”

I remember seeing the pictures in newspaper stories of the fire hoses, of the snarling police dogs straining on leases.

I remember that speech, “I have a dream…”

I remember the news story on TV showing Robert Kennedy lying mortally wounded on the floor of that hotel floor.

I remember the terrible news story about that terrible day in Memphis.

I remember that day when “Grant Park” meant mad-dog police going berserk with clubs against citizens protesting an insane war.

I remember Detroit burning.

I remember that day in Iowa when I thought this is a day just like the one that happened with Jimmy Carter.

I remember so many things, so many events, so many doubts and a cynicism that said a day like this might never come about.

I hear the chant, “Yes we can!”

I think, maybe this time, in reality, the torch has been passed on from one generation to another.

I only can pray that we may be that beacon, that we may be a city on the hill whose light we cannot hide under a basket, that we may be that example of goodness and justice to the world.

I hope that God may bless America, that we will hold true to his tenets.

No comments: