The Narrow Gate

Welcome to the continuation of my blog, post-seminary. Ministry and evangelism have brought me back home to Chattanooga. I welcome your company on my journey.

The original blog, Down In Mississippi, shared stories from 2008 and 2009 of the hope and determination of people in the face of disaster wrought by the hurricanes Rita and Katrina in 2005, of work done primarily by volunteers from churches across America and with financial support of many aid agencies and private donations and the Church. My Mississippi posts really ended with the post of August 16, 2009. Much work, especially for the neediest, remained undone after the denominational church pulled out. Such is the nature of institutions. The world still needs your hands for a hand up. I commend to you my seven stories, Down in Mississippi I -VII, at the bottom of this page and the blog posts. They describe an experience of grace.



Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Day 151 - Gustav I

Well, the "tropical depression" I mentioned on Day 148 is now an ominous threat. It looks certain that it will become a full-blown hurricane in a day or so. It's killed 11 people in Haiti. All the tracks point towards the Gulf Coast somewhere in a 300 mile wide spread from New Orleans to Florida.

I have a sinking feeling it is going to zero in on Mississippi/Alabama, perhaps east of the current prediction. Currently, the weathermap has it aimed right at Pearlington. That sends a shudder down everyone's back. Poor Pearlington was ground zero for Katrina.

Everyone is on pins and needles. In an agonizing turn of events last night, Gustav slowed down as it crossed Haiti. The expected arrival into the northern Gulf on Sunday has moved to Monday morning. Its arrival may be my birthday present on Tuesday.

Some models are suggesting it could be a stronger storm than Katrina but the National Hurricane Center say right now it is as probable it will be a category 1 and category 3 storm.

In a long term recovery meeting in Hancock County this morning it came from the Governor's office that a mandatory evacuation announcement might come Saturday. My friend John Jones, working in New Orleans for the state, says the evacuation annoucement may occur there about the same time.

Fortunately we have a well thought out evacuation plan on record. Between now and Saturday we will be packing up and securing property and moving it to designated storage locations. We are preparing roughly 48 hours before predicted landfall to drive our vehicles packed with food, water and extra fuel to Meridian.

That is the problem, where and when is landfall going to occur?

We will get ready to go, watch the NHC and get ready to move. So much for my trip to Chattanooga this weekend.

The positve note: One of my Queen of the Night bloomed last evening and the other plants have several buds. One will bloom tonight or tomorrow. I hope the rest survive this storm.

Pray for the people down here.

No comments: