The Narrow Gate

Welcome to the continuation of my blog, post-seminary. Ministry and evangelism have brought me back home to Chattanooga. I welcome your company on my journey.

The original blog, Down In Mississippi, shared stories from 2008 and 2009 of the hope and determination of people in the face of disaster wrought by the hurricanes Rita and Katrina in 2005, of work done primarily by volunteers from churches across America and with financial support of many aid agencies and private donations and the Church. My Mississippi posts really ended with the post of August 16, 2009. Much work, especially for the neediest, remained undone after the denominational church pulled out. Such is the nature of institutions. The world still needs your hands for a hand up. I commend to you my seven stories, Down in Mississippi I -VII, at the bottom of this page and the blog posts. They describe an experience of grace.



Thursday, April 3, 2008

Day 4 - The Greatness of Soul

Robert Fagles in a discourse on Sophocles’ Antigone stated, “…in certain heroic natures unmerited suffering and death can be met with greatness of soul which, because it is purely human, brings honor to us all.”

Today, I’ve been assessing the work to do on homes we have received to repair, from Gulfport to Pearlington. I have four or five more I have not yet gotten to, and I know more are coming before I get these done. Some need only a few pieces of drywall and a new door, others far more, new roof, tear down to studs, you name it.

After dinner tonight during the devotional (we have a large repeat group from the Presbytery of Cincinnati and from Colorado) one person remarked that when he faced his first home Monday the question he asked then seems so hollow now, “Why would they want to stay in that house?”

I’ve had people remark a similar question in the past, “Why don’t they just move somewhere else since they know another storm will come?”

This gentleman speaking after dinner said that his group worked hard all week to repair this woman’s home and today they stood beside her as she looked at this work completed by strangers; her gratefulness and her joy, the relief in her eyes that now she has a home for her family that she could not afford to repair herself was the answer to the question.

1 comment:

Pedro said...

Henry, Looks like you're pretty busy. Keep us updated!